Microencapsulation of a drug in a biodegradable polymer matrix leads to a controlled release of the drug over a period of time through slow degradation of the polymer matrix after injection. This sustained release leads to a constant blood level of the drug, which improves the therapeutic effect and reduces side-effects.
Additionally, the switch from daily to monthly administration leads to higher patient convenience and compliance. This is especially beneficial for chronic conditions. The formulation of controlled release systems is a multifactorial complex process. High control of particle characteristics during production is crucial and can be achieved with Emultech’s microfluidic emulsification.
Advantages for controlled release
- Controlled drug release through control over particle size
- High drug loading through high encapsulation efficiencies
- Improved injectability through uniformity of particles
- Encapsulation of proteins due to benign nature of the process
- No waste of expensive raw materials since no sieving is required
Microsphere size and uniformity influence the duration and uniformity of drug release.
Application areas for controlled release